A Logo Is Born
How My Current Logo Was Designed
I don’t get to play with Adobe Illustrator half as much as I used to, which is a shame as I’ve always loved tweaking my vectors, so to speak! My old website gave me an opportunity to play around with this great software once again and the first port of call had to be a nice shiny new logo!
1: My old logos have always been based around my initials so I didn’t see any reason to change that. First things first, I looked at existing fonts and came across a lovely modern sans serif display face called Spaceman.
I was specifically drawn to the A and being all lowercase seemed aesthetically pleasing.
Firstly, I curved the J.
Next, I pushed it upwards, effectively removing the descender.
I particularly liked the idea of echoing the dot of the J, which by now had also been converted to a square.
By this stage I was already thinking about possible colour schemes, too.
I quite liked the bold, almost-primary colours I was selecting alongside the starkness of the black.
Now I felt I was really getting somewhere!
The final three designs also lead me to make the square ‘dot’ motif consistent in size, rather than being dictated by the stroke weight.
A larger dot on the A actually gave it an almost serif-like accent, which worked quite nicely to tie the two letters together.
An almost ‘rusty’ red and ‘azure’ blue seemed to balance well with the warm yellow.
I feel it offers some warmth and a suggestion of fun, without coming across too corporate.
I suppose I could have gone down the route of Pantone swatches etc, but as this logo was purely created for a website and I have no intention to start creating printed stationery and suchlike I really didn’t see why that mattered!
These are the hexadecimal colours I’ve worked with:
- Yellow: #ffee00
- Blue: #009fe4
- Red: #eb5b0b
- Black: #000000
Take the coloured elements away and the logo still works on some level thanks to the strongest black areas. The logo is also bold enough to work in single and two-colour forms.
Overall, I’m very happy with the finished design!
A Stage Further
9: I also wanted to work with an extended version. The first stage was to revisit the Spaceman font and convert it into editable vector outlines.
16: After much deliberation, I felt the extra squares overcomplicated what is essentially quite a minimal aesthetic. A simpler design was therefore decided upon, leaving the yellow border purely for the JA initials ‘badge’ instead.
A Winning Combo
This was all done using CSS3 alpha shadows and border radius properties, so those without a modern browser get a more straightforward versions without all the bells and whistles.
I really hope you like what I’ve done and some of the thought processes behind it all!
Several years on from its inception I’m still quite happy with my logo. It serves its purpose quite well.